- 28 hours of study over 28 weeks in 2 terms
- Focuses on improving technique and performance ability for further dance and musical theatre training
- Highlights importance of performance ability and self-presentation
- Provides informal and formal feedback to reach individuals’ goals (ranging from interview technique, presentation, performance ability, technical skill, choice of audition material)
- Showcases newly developed skills in end-of-course showcase performance during final half term
- Advises individuals on appropriate courses and institutions to apply for
- The process of application is supported and guided by the Head of Foundation and AVT Courses
- Facilitates workshops from current industry professionals throughout the year
- Dance: Classical Ballet, Techinal Jazz, Jazz for Audition, Street/Commercial, Contemporary, Tap, Stretch and Body Conditioning
- Musical Theatre: Acting Technique, Acting Audition Preparation, Singing Technique, Singing Repertoire, Small Group Singing, Acting through Song, Integrated Performance (Musical Theatre), and Choir
- Contextual Studies: Weekly Tutorials, Interview Technique, Application Support
In addition to core subjects studied the students receive workshops from current industry professionals throughout the year
Students who graduate from this one year programme benefit from increased performance levels, heightened confidence to successfully audition for further training, deeper knowledge and greater understanding of vocational level training.
Foundation Course graduates have an improved chance of gaining scholarships and funding for their future training.
The Foundation course acts as an audition for Urdang Academy in itself, with students being seen by many senior members of the faculty throughout the year in a series of mock auditions. Feedback from these mock auditions helps students prepare for a final audition for a place on either Urdang’s Diploma or Degree.
A passion for the performing arts!