Owing to the ongoing COVID-19 situation we cannot guarantee we will be able to host any Open Days for 2021 entry at Urdang. We are planning on some exciting alternative arrangements to allow you to experience our facilities.
Please keep an eye on the website and social media for updates.
If you have any further enquiries please email email@example.com
Our one-year Foundation Course prepares students aged over 18 years for auditions for further vocational training.
Performance technique and ability make up the main component of this course while tailored, actionable feedback is an important part of each individual’s development.
This course is for talented students who are keen to enhance their technical proficiency so they can successfully audition for further studies in musical theatre and dance.
Since its introduction in 2009, our one year Foundation Course has proved to be highly successful as a stepping stone for students into further training at a vocational college or university.
- 28 hours of study over 28 weeks in over two terms
- Focuses on improving technique and performance ability for further dance and musical theatre training
- Highlights importance of performance ability and self-presentation
- Provides informal and formal feedback to reach individuals’ goals (ranging from interview technique, presentation, performance ability, technical skill, choice of audition material)
- Showcases newly developed skills in end-of-course showcase performance during final half term
- Advises individuals on appropriate courses and institutions to apply for
- The process of application is supported and guided by the Head of Foundation and AVT Courses
- Facilitates workshops from current industry professionals throughout the year
- Dance: Classical Ballet, Techinal Jazz, Jazz for Audition, Street/Commercial, Contemporary, Tap, Stretch and Body Conditioning
- Musical Theatre: Acting Technique, Acting Audition Preparation, Singing Technique, Singing Repertoire, Small Group Singing, Acting through Song, Integrated Performance (Musical Theatre), and Choir
- Contextual Studies: Weekly Tutorials, Interview Technique, Application Support
In addition to core subjects studied the students receive workshops from current industry professionals throughout the year
Students who graduate from this one year programme benefit from increased performance levels, heightened confidence to successfully audition for further training, deeper knowledge and greater understanding of vocational level training.
Foundation Course graduates have an improved chance of gaining scholarships and funding for their future training.
The Foundation course acts as an audition for Urdang Academy in itself, with students being seen by many senior members of the faculty throughout the year in a series of mock auditions. Feedback from these mock auditions helps students prepare for a final audition for a place on either Urdang’s Diploma or Degree.
There is no guarantee that Foundation Course students will gain a place on the 3 year courses. All Foundation and AVT students will have to re-audition. Re-entry for the Degree and Diploma courses is at the discretion of the panel.
By audition and interview. Students will be expected to have already gained at least a 4/C in GCSE English Language and Mathematics prior to starting the course. There is no Level 3 academic requirement. This course is only open to UK students.