You can now apply for an open day.
Open Days run between 1.15pm and 4pm and applicants can bring one guest.
Friday 4th October 2019
Monday 14th October 2019
Monday 4th November 2019
Friday 15th November 2019
Friday 22nd November 2019
Friday 17th January 2020
Monday 20th January 2020
Dates may be subject to change.
Our one-year Foundation Course prepares students aged 19+ for auditions for further training.
Students’ dance and musical theatre technique and performance ability are the focus of this course while tailored, actionable feedback is a key component in this course’s focus to develop the foundations of the individual.
This course is for talented students who need to enhance their technical proficiency so they can successfully audition for further studies in musical theatre and dance.
Since its introduction in 2009, our one year Foundation Course has proved to be highly successful as a stepping stone for students into further training at a vocational college or university. Of our 2016 cohort 97% gained places on full-time 3-year vocational courses.
- 28 hours of study over 28 weeks in 2 terms
- Focuses on improving technique and performance ability for further dance and musical theatre training
- Highlights importance of performance ability and self-presentation
- Provides informal and formal feedback to reach individuals’ goals (ranging from interview technique, presentation, performance ability, technical skill, choice of audition material)
- Showcases newly developed skills in end-of-course showcase performance during final half term
- Advises individuals on appropriate courses and institutions to apply for
- The process of application is supported and guided by the Head of Foundation and AVT Courses
- Facilitates workshops from current industry professionals throughout the year
- Dance: Classical Ballet, Techinal Jazz, Jazz for Audition, Street/Commercial, Contemporary, Tap, Stretch and Body Conditioning
- Musical Theatre: Acting Technique, Acting Audition Preparation, Singing Technique, Singing Repertoire, Small Group Singing, Acting through Song, Integrated Performance (Musical Theatre), and Choir
- Contextual Studies: Weekly Tutorials, Interview Technique, Application Support
In addition to core subjects studied the students receive workshops from current industry professionals throughout the year
Students who graduate from this one year programme benefit from increased performance levels, heightened confidence to successfully audition for further training, deeper knowledge and greater understanding of vocational level training.
Foundation Course graduates have an improved chance of gaining scholarships and funding for their future training.
The Foundation course acts as an audition for Urdang Academy in itself, with students being seen by many senior members of the faculty throughout the year in a series of mock auditions. Feedback from these mock auditions helps students prepare for a final audition for a place on either Urdang’s Diploma or Degree.
A passion for the performing arts!